Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Our Autumn Book Basket 2014

I love putting together storybook baskets to enrich each season for my boys.

Our Autumn book collection is still in its beginnings, but I thought I would share it anyways (and keep a record for myself).

Here is what we have been reading these days...



Apples and Pumpkins by Anne Rockwell.
We have this in the board book format, and it is short, sweet and perfect for little ones.  I love the fall colors in all of the illustrations.


Biscuit Visits the Pumpkin Patch by Alyssa Capucelli.
This is another board book for my littlest boys.  It is very simple but they love it.



Why Do Leaves Change Color?  by Betsy Maestro
A pleasant, educational, non-fiction read about the Autumn season.



Pumpkin Moonshine by Tasha Tudor
I love how Tasha Tudor's illustrations and artwork are so childish, yet not cartoony.  This is a beautiful book and a very sweet story about Halloween.
Ox-Card Man by Donald Hall

A classic book about an early American settler family.  Although the story isn't specifically about Fall, book describes the family's work to prepare for the Winter.  The words are beautiful and almost all of the illustrations by Barbara Cooney (one of my favs!) show gorgeous fall landscapes as the background.  Dominic LOVES this story and I love reading it aloud to him.


The Pumpkin Patch Parable, by Liz Curtis Higgs
This is a story that ties in pumpkins and the tradition of lighting jack-o-lanterns in with our Christian faith.  Although the language is somewhat plain, I enjoy reading this story to comfort my boys who get anxious about the focus on evil all around us during Halloween time.



The Gigantic Turnip by Aleksei Tolstoy
A very fun read-aloud about a farmer's unusual harvest.  The boys laugh aloud during this story.


Johnny Appleseed by Reeve Lindbergh
This is a library book that I decided fit in very well with our basket theme.  We have checked this one out several times before-- in fact, it might be time to add it to our library!  It has a beautiful rhythmic poem about early pioneers and the boys (and myself) are drawn to the illustrations of the Autumn orchards ripened with apples. 

No comments: