Sunday, May 3, 2009

Dominic's Birth Story


I can't believe it has already been 2 weeks since Dominic's arrival! What a memorable arrival it was...

As I mentioned on my April 18 post, my labor journey began on April 16 (our baby's due date). For almost 48 hours I experienced strong and regular contractions, but was unsure whether they were Braxton-Hicks or not. On Friday April 17 around 10pm these contractions became much more painful and were arriving 3 minutes apart-- so Michael and I headed to the hospital. Upon arrival we were told that I was only 1 cm dilated. We decided to go home and hopefully get some shut eye while my labor progressed.

The contractions continued throughout Saturday, and I did my best to go on short walks, distract myself and utilize some of the relaxation techniques we had learned in our childbirth class. By Saturday night the labor pains were worsening (as was my exhaustion level), so we headed to the hospital one more time. We found out that I was 4 cm dilated, and so we were admitted to stay and anticipate our little one's birth. It did not take long for me to take advantage of the "epidural" to help with the back labor I was experiencing. It truly was modern medicine at its best!

Over the course of the next few hours, I continued to dilate-- and by mid-morning on Sunday, we were finally at 10 cm! At last it was time to start pushing! Our awesome nurse coached us as we pushed for about an hour, with unfortunately no signs of the baby dropping low enough. Our nurse suggested that I rest for some time and let the contractions naturally push the baby down further. After about 2 hours, my doctor arrived and we started pushing again. We discovered that the baby was facing the wrong way (hence the back labor), but with some effort the doctor was able to turn him. To our disappointment, this did not solve the problem. With the help of several encouraging cheerleaders, I continued to push for 3 hours. This time flew by-- I felt so determined to keep trying.

Eventually it became clear that this baby was not coming out, and so the doctor ordered for a Cesarean delivery instead. I was nervous and beyond exhausted, but more than anything I could not wait to meet my baby boy. Michael held my hand through the surgery and before I knew it, I finally heard his little cry!! Our 9lbs 2 oz baby was born!! It was and incredibly emotional and very difficult experience, but worth every labor pain and every stitch. I have never felt so full of love for our son, nor have I ever felt so blessed. I am so grateful for Dominic, for my husband, our family and friends who supported us during this time! Thank you!

No comments: